Blackout Challenge TikTok – Viral Dare Or Slow Death?

blackout challenge tiktok

Blackout Challenge TikTok is the worst and the deadliest of all the challenges marketed by TikTok. The viral challenge is also known as the ‘choking challenge’ or the ‘pass-out challenge.’

The blackout challenge entails exactly what its name suggests, i.e., holding one’s breath until one eventually passes out due to lack of oxygen.

The frightening challenge dates back to 2008, the year it was revealed for the first time. The deadly challenge claimed the lives of 82 children back then. 

Most children who died were between 11 and 16, and cases occurred in 31 states.

The CDC explained, ‘the choking game involves intentionally trying to choke oneself or another to obtain a brief euphoric state or high.’

The choking game resurfaced on TikTok as the “blackout challenge.” Despite knowing what happened the last time this challenge was announced, people, primarily children, are still having a go at it. TikTok is no stranger to dangerous viral trends

From “dry-scooping” to climbing on tall stacks of milk crates to removing your IUD (!) and eating massive amounts of frozen honey and corn syrup, the “blackout challenge” is just the latest in a string of activities that can harm users or turn out to be fatal. 

Anyone with a basic knowledge of how the human body works would know that brain cells begin to die within five minutes of insufficient oxygen supply. 

Dares similar to the blackout challenge can quickly become fatal if the participant tries to hold their breath for too long. 

People dying from attempting the blackout challenge is not only a possibility but a highly saddening reality. 

Nylah Anderson, who was only 10, died at her home in Pennsylvania after attempting to do the dangerous viral challenge.

Upon finding her unresponsive, Nylah’s family rushed the 10-year-old to Nemours Children’s Hospital, but she could not be revived.

According to CBS News, on March 22nd, 12-year-old Joshua Haileyesus was found unconscious after accidentally choking himself with a shoelace and died after spending 19 days on life support. Like Anderson, Haileyesus was attempting the “Blackout Challenge.”

While many parents find it extremely hard to believe that their kid would attempt something as vile as the blackout challenge, a survey conducted by the Oregon Public Health Division in 2008 revealed that more than fifty percent of eighth graders had heard about or attempted the ‘choking game.’

Why is the Blackout challenge so dangerous?

The blackout challenge is hazardous because, within minutes, it can take a turn for the worse. 

The challenge that requires participants to hold their breath for as long as possible can easily lead to death, coma, seizures, or permanent brain damage. 

Children are naive, which is why they are tricked into doing such risky dares. They attempt such challenges without thinking about the repercussions.

Related Post

>