In this article, we will give you complete knowledge about craigslist by answering you commonly ask questions, so let’s get started.
What Is Craigslist?
Craigslist is one of the most famous online advertising websites in the world, that is giving its services about 50 countries and numerous small and large cities in the United States of America. The website enables you to post your ads for jobs, the product you want to sell. Users can able to go through all the classified ads without spending a single penny but they are only required to pay if they wish to publish a job opportunity ad whereas all other postings are for free as well.
Who owns Craigslist?
Craigslist is appointed after its creator, Craig Newmark. In 1995 he created Craigslist as a free advertising place and internet community where people can engage free of cost. All the work, containing dealing with spammers, event postings, customer care and promotion in events were done initially by to Newmark himself only. The network started growing rapidly and he was surprised to see the plenty of postings widening to vacancies, rentals, houses. Extra categories, like jobs, were added due to the demand of users.
In 1999 Craigslist incorporated as a private- profit to the organization. On August 9, 2012, Craigslist reached over 700 cities of 70 countries, with the website assisting over 20 billion page views. 80 million new classified advertisements, and 2 million new jobs publishing every month, making it the leading advertising service and one of the top job communities in the world.
How does Craigslist make money?
Craigslist makes money only through revenue sources. It charges a $25 cost for posting a job listing in six major cities of the U.S. It also cost $75 for a job listing in San Francisco. The company also takes a $10 fee to list an apartment rental in New York. The revenues produced from these fees cover only the operating expenditures of Craigslist. The company has not earned a profit since its beginning. The president of Craigslist Jim Buckmaster has expressed that establishing a superior user experience is more valuable to the company than making money.
How To Make Craigslist Account:
If you want to sell anything on Craigslist you must make your account first.
So here are a few steps of his to make an account on Craigslist:
Steps Of Creating Account On Craigslist:
- Go to craigslist website and click on signup
- Craigslist will ask you to enter your email address and then send you a link to verify your account.
- After clicking on the verify link you will be asked to secure your account by adding a password and accept the terms and conditions.
- After completing these steps you are ready to post your product on Craigslist.
How To Post On Craigslist?:
It can be tricky to post on Craigslist so make sure to follow the steps we are sharing with you:
Steps Of Posting Craigslist:
- Visit the home page of Craigslist and choose your city.
- Click on the top of the page “post to classified”, you will be asked to choose your category to post your ad.
- Then you will be required to enter all the details of your ad. such as price, description, and email for those who want to interact with you. Then click on “Continue”.
- Upload the images from the device of your product you want to advertise then hit “publish”.
- You will then receive a confirmation link via email from Craigslist. Click that the link, your add will be expected to go live within 15 minutes After confirmation.
How To Search Craigslist Nationwide:
It is sometimes frustrating by the lack of nationwide searching and tough to learn about the item that could be anywhere in the country.
So here there are two ways of searching:
1) Using The Web Service:
Here a few steps:
- Find craigslist searching tool with the help of websites that allow you to search through nationwide. Some of the famous websites include:
- Enter your search term. Few websites will just give outcomes for the specific term across all of Craigslist, whereas others will let you define categories and regions.
- Browse your results. Every service will provide results in various orders, and many allow you to refine your further search. Use the tools accessible to shorten your search to something useful for you.
2) Use Google:
Here are the steps:
- Use advanced search. Google can do more than just inquiry ire, and with a little trick, you can do a search of Craigslist on a nationwide scale. This technique also works with Bing, Yahoo, and other search engines.
- Enter your search criteria, what are you looking for in the search field, whether jobs or product.
- Follow your search words with craigslist.org.
- You can include or specify your search options more by using search operators such as zip codes and price range.
How To Sell On Craigslist:
There are a few steps you must follow to sell something on Craigslist:
- Go to the website Craigslist.org.
- Choose your state or your location where are you residing?. This option is accessible on the right side of the page
- Hit on the post to classifieds the button. It is accessible on the left side. It will bring you to a page that says: “What type of posting is this?” It gives you an option of posting types: such as for sale by the dealer and sale by owner.
- Submit the posting information through which potential buyers will see when they are searching for what you are selling. These fields are as follows:
- Price range
- Posting title
- Description of the product you are selling.
5. Add images of the item you are selling
6. Click on continue if you fill all the information that requires correctly
7. Then click on the publish button.
How To Sell Safely On Craigslist:
If you are selling the first time it is necessary to do your transactions safely.
Here are a few steps of precautions:
1) Sell Something Worth Buying For Buyers:
It always takes time to sell something on Craigslist. You will need to make sure whether the thing you are selling is worthy for buyers for instance it will be a waste of time if you only have one or two inexpensive things to sell. In order to meet with potential buyers, you need to sell a big-ticket item such as furniture, jewelry or designer clothing.
2) Use A Proxy Email Address:
Craigslist gives an option of proxy email addresses to the sellers, and it is a good initiate to use them so browsers can not spam your actual email address. Once a potential consumer is truly interested, it will be alright to shift communication to your cell phone because most of the buyers like to text. If you are the one buying, ask questions to sellers via an email address.
3) Plan Everything In Advance:
It is not convenient to meet with a stranger and go sour, specify the selling price, type of payment, time and place for the meeting, and any particular circumstances, like a title exchange, before deciding to meet in person.
4) Meet In Public:
If you are meeting with a Craigslist contact for buying or selling a small item, meet in a public place. Coffee shops, shopping malls or the parking lot of the local police station are all better options in order to avoid any mishaps.
5) Stay Safe When A Buyer Visits Your House:
If you have to sell furniture or other big items, and the buyer requires to come to your home. Try these Craigslist precautions to make the transaction more satisfactory.
- Before the meeting gets the buyer’s personal information like full name and cell phone number, if there is an issue, you have their information.
- If at all possible, shift the item into your garage or driveway before the meeting. Sob you do not need to let them enter your house
- Have a friend or a family member at home with you.
- Meet during the daytime.
If you are the one buying, make sure to take a friend with you. Do not come into the seller’s home until it is essential, and keep your cell phone within your reach.
5) Accept cash only:
Accepting cash and avoiding checks is one of the most important Craigslist precautions to take to avoid scamming. Personal checks can be bounced, and scammers can give you fake cashier’s checks and money orders.
So these are our research on Craigslist, we hope it helps you to understand well and use this tool correctly and make most of it.