Innovation is the best way to boost any company. Being curious and observing, but also being constant, is the tools to encourage creativity. If you want different results do not always do the same.” This sentence, attributed to Albert Einstein, creator of the theory of relativity and one of the most important scientists of the 20th century, contains the essence of creativity.
But how does creativity apply to the business world? In general, creativity means devising something new and different that helps cover the gaps in the market or that reinvents models or products that already exist. Its application can overcome challenges, improve the efficiency of processes in any business environment and, ultimately, offer better products that respond to concerns and solve problems.
Creativity in the company: Creativity is the greatest asset of a company and involves more than just presenting ideas, although good ideas are the result of a creative process. In fact, “more than 60 new ideas are needed to create a new product,” says Isa Moll, director of the Master of Science in Marketing Management at the ESADE business school.
Innovation comes from creativity, which is neither more nor less than its implementation. Both are intimately related concepts. At present, where business competition is fierce and where to stay behind is not difficult if the business routine is imposed, both pieces are essential to survive, both in the physical channel and online.
Creativity is worked; it is not an attitude that is in the DNA of people. To develop it, we must be attentive because it can arise in any field. Companies like Airbnb or Cabify, which started from scratch and their investment, was not their strong point, bet on creativity to fill a gap in the market. They did it after spending a good part of their time researching. “They triumphed because they always pivoted around the client and made him the center of their strategy,” says Saavedra.
How creativity is encouraged? Creativity is vital now that consumers tend to be unfaithful to the great offer that is presented to them. Without ideas there is no creativity, but not always those that seem good succeed, or the other way around. Here is a series of guidelines that outline the path to develop creativity in the workplace and business
- Investigate and collect all possible information.
- Develop a strategic plan through teamwork. “Find elements that differentiate you from the rest”, clarifies Moll.
- Observe everything that happens around. Also pay attention to the changes.
- Learn from mistakes. Failure is not a bad thing, quite the opposite. “Is positive. Making mistakes is a way to learn continuously, “explains Saavedra.
- Combine intuition with rationality.
- Create interdisciplinary areas in the company that enrich the different steps.
Techniques for the development of creativity: It is not enough to just sit and think and wait for ideas to surface. Creativity uses methods that help its development, such as Design Thinking. This methodology is focused on the client, is oriented to action and its purpose in finding solutions. Many problems are due to routine, therefore, creativity helps to focus on problems differently and provide new alternatives that lead to a solution.
The design thinking is divided into several stages
- Empathy: “Making a detailed profile about the consumer is basic,” says Saavedra. You have to gather information to know what is being demanded. Investigate qualitatively the consumer and put ourselves in his place: what worries him and what he consumes, for example.
- Define the problem: Now it’s time to synthesize the information, banish the obvious and detect needs, problems or desires that we have to solve. For example, if our problem was related to the backpacks that children take to school so that they do not end up with back problems, we could define this problem as: what can I do to reduce that weight or what other alternatives are there to move the books? From this stage, it is necessary to find solutions.
- Make a prototype: Once we have the information, it is necessary to create a pilot product with which to test the market.
- Test: Test the product, collect the consumer’s responses and adapt it to the demand.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.