In the last few years (especially since covid hit us), many people have shifted paths and switched to online businesses, or at least searched about it once.
One of the best ways to start making money online is by selling products on marketplaces.
You might have heard about people making thousands of dollars through “online arbitrage,” but what is this method? Is it enough to set up a shop on Amazon and put some products there? What else must a newbie know to succeed in online arbitrage in 2023?
These are the questions we’re going to answer in this article. Read it if you are considering starting on Amazon but are unsure about the whole deal. Some parts of this article are taken from OABeans website.
What is Online Arbitrage?
Online arbitrage, or OA for short, is the act of buying something online (from online retailers like Walmart) and selling it on an online marketplace (like Amazon) for a profit.
All you need is a computer, yes and no. This type isn’t a “get rich quick” scheme. Suppose you want to avoid ending up out of pocket and holding plenty of inventory you can’t sell.
In that case, you need tools, data, and a systematic approach to identifying profitable deals.
Imagine you see a discounted pencil holder on Walmart site for $5. You buy and resell it on Amazon for $9. That’s it; that’s online arbitrage. Imagine selling hundreds of them and adding a few shoes or jewelry. Now you will be looking at greater profits and more money.
The good thing is you don’t need professional business experience or significant capital to get started. Also, online arbitrage is a big universe, so that you can choose methods and products.
How Much Money Can Newbies Make from Online Arbitrage?
Most beginners start with a small number of products and trendy items. Since you don’t have a big profit margin and will need to manage issues using your own money, this is the way to go. It’s only logical to keep both the profit and the loss small.
In the first three months, you can expect $100-$500 per month. If you make more than that, great! Use the money to expand your business. But don’t rush things.
Step-by-Step Guide to Start OA in 2023
Your online arbitrage business will be based on an Amazon seller account. So make sure you know how to work with one. It’s easy; you can review the basics in a few days. Here are the steps to starting your OA business:
- Do your research: the first and most important thing in your online arbitrage journey is to get to know the business. Now that you understand what OA is, search the markets. See the products, read reviews and find out about the trendiest options. What are people spending money on? What are the top 10 items for online arbitrage? How rapidly does the market change? Also, consider your skills and interests.
- Create an Amazon account: you have two choices here: “Individual account” and “Amazon professional sellers account.” The latter costs $39.99 per month and is mandatory for users with more than 40 monthly sales (we suggest getting it).
- Decide about sourcing: where and how you buy your products is important. There are thousands of online discount sites, and in the first months, you have the time to search them manually and find your desired products. But as the business grows, your free time won’t. You must do what many arbitragers do: outsource the sourcing decisions. There are tools and sites that provide you with discounted quality products daily.
How to Source Products to Sell on Amazon?
As we said, sourcing products is an important step in this business. You have different options when it comes to buying products:
- Manually searching: go through online discount sites and find what suits your business. This will require free time and, later, a dedicated person.
- Using software: these tools crawl the websites for you and list products quickly. This way, you can make informed purchases and scale up your business.
- Using sourcing websites and extensions: these websites provide you with customized, ready-to-use lists of products. Their competitive advantage is the uniqueness of lists and support options.
Tips for Being Successful in Your Online Arbitrage Business
Here are some small tactics and pro tips that will help you avoid mistakes and make more money on Amazon:
- Start small: make sure to avoid the rookie’s mistake, and start with what you can afford. Selling safe products in small volumes will help you keep a proper cash flow, avoid losses, and have time to study the business.
- A source with knowledge: most sellers consider the price a winning point when they select products. But there are some other aspects too; you need to choose a product that will sell off quickly (and helps you make money to think about the next ones). So keep an eye on reviews and trends.
- Stay updated about regulations: Amazon restricts some categories and sets rules for its sellers. Sometimes even a small neglect can suspend your account. So don’t take anything for granted.
- Keep an eye on the numbers: as you go forward in your business, it’s easy to lose track of the income and expenses. Try to keep even the smallest details of what you do because these details will facilitate the tax.
Start your online arbitrage business with as much information as you can get your hands on. Focus on quality first and quantity second, so the customers rely on you as a valuable place for buying their desired items.
Also, remember that this is a journey that takes patience.
You are going to profit and, of course, lose money. Try to read between the lines and use sales data and information to your advantage.
Data is your most helpful tool; it tells you where you have gone wrong and what decisions you need to stick to.