Screen recording software lets you record what is happening on your screen. You can record the movement of your cursor and demonstrate to your audience what you are doing.
However, finding a free screen recorder for a PC that will work perfectly for your audience can be challenging. With several free PC screen recording software available for download, making a choice can be difficult. This article reviews the best free screen recorder for PCs to help you make better decisions.
Capture, Create, and Share: The Top 10 Free Screen Recording Software of 2024
When looking for a free screen video recorder for a PC, you will go for something more straightforward and effective. A sound-free-screen video recorder for PC is a robust tool that records the output of a computer screen.
Also known as screen casting software or screen recorder, it lets you display your computer activity to others. Here is our top selection of the best free screen recording software for PCs that you can use.
Loom – Best for quick recording and sharing on the desktop
When you want to record something on your screen quickly and share a link, Loom is a good choice. The overly simple software allows you to choose whether to record your screen, screen with webcam video, or just the webcam. The recorded video is then uploaded to Loom where you can do some basic editing.
Available Software: Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone/iPad, Chrome
- Generous free plan
- Has an extension for Google Chrome
- Easy to use and works well with most devices
- Can record screen and webcam
- No watermark or ads
- Allows you to see who viewed the video
- Video interaction capabilities like comments and emoji reactions
- Easily integrates with other tools like Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Mobile apps are not perfect
- Very limited editing functionality
- Only 25 videos per one user
- Video duration is limited to 5 minutes
Filmora – Best for Video Editing
Filmora screen recorder can capture any activities on your desktop screen or browser. You can easily record your screen while maintaining quality through lectures, online meetings, gameplays, product demos, and more. You can create more engaging videos with screen and webcam capture.
Other outstanding features include recording audio from a microphone and system and built-in tools and effects for editing your videos.
Available Software: Windows, Mac
- An intuitive and well-designed interface for users of all skill levels
- Basic video editing features like transitions and trimming
- Records voice-overs using a microphone and computer system audio
- Multiple recording options, including full-screen and specific windows
- Limited features for advanced users
Free Cam – Best for Creating Screencast
Free Cam is one of the most straightforward screen recording and voice recorder PC free software. It has an intuitive and attractive interface for recording the entire screen or just a portion.
You can effectively record your screen and audio with a built-in audio and video editor. You also have the option to record audio narration through system sounds and a microphone.
- Can records a full screen or just selected area of the screen
- No watermark, time limits, or ads
- Records voice-overs
- Removes background noise
- Easily deletes unwanted video fragments
- No webcam recording
- Saves recordings to WMV only
ShareX – Best for Sharing Files
ShareX is one of the best screen and audio recorder PC free software. It comes with many advanced features for recording screens and sharing. However, the quality of videos is relatively lower compared to similar tools.
Available Software: Windows
- Records a full-screen mode or scrolling
- Supports many URL sharing options
- Incorporates hotkeys for quick navigation
- Imports existing videos, music, or photos
- Allows custom color effects and watermarks
- No video editor
- Low video quality of game recordings
- No webcam recording
- Complicated for the average user
OBS – Best for Advanced Recording Tools and Live Streaming
OBS is a free PC screen recorder with audio built with live streaming in mind. A popular way people use OBS is to livestream their gaming content on Twitch.
The software lets you record videos using a webcam and your computer screen. This makes it useful for capturing footage of yourself playing games. OBS allows you to share live or recorded videos of your display.
Available Software: Windows, Mac, Linux
- A free screen recording software
- Live streaming and advanced recording tools
- Can be difficult for beginners
Movavi Screen Recorder – Best for When You’re Away from Your Desk
Movavi is a screen recorder for PC that comes with a built-in editor for scheduled captures. This makes it an excellent choice for recording live streams or webinars while away from your desk. The feature is easily accessible under Scheduler and allows you to set a time limit for the next recording.
You can also specify the time you want the recording to start and end. You can also set the computer to sleep or shut down when the capture is finished.
Available Software: Windows, Mac
- Easy to set up scheduled captures
- Free screen recorder download for PC
- No monthly pricing options
- In-depth editing requires a separate Movavi app
Debut Video Capture – Best for Creating Demonstrations and Streaming Video Games
Debut lest you make videos for almost any task and live stream videos on YouTube. Although the interface may seem odd and old-fashioned, it delivers exceptional recording functionality. You can highlight spotlights, record mouse clicks, show keystrokes, add a logo or watermark, and more. You can even replace the background with images or videos and schedule a recording.
Available Software: Windows, Mac
- Captures video from a network IP camera and other devices
- Unlimited recording time
- Records both webcam and screen
- Robust editing options
- Green Screen tool
- Can schedule a recording
- Time-lapse video recording options
- Outdated interface
- Limited editing features
- No interactive or animation features
Zappy – Best Free Screen recorder for a Mac
Zappy is an excellent choice for quickly recording your screen and sending it to someone without editing. The app is easy to use and can be triggered using a keyboard shortcut of the menu bar icon.
To start recording, select the portion of the screen you want to record. Then hit the video camera button and stop when you are done. The software also allows you to record a voice-over using a microphone.
Available Software: Mac
- Completely free
- Quick download screen recorder for PC free
- Allows you to make GIFs
- Exceedingly simple and quick
- Relatively limited feature set
EaseUS RecExperts – Best for Small Businesses
EaseUS RecExperts is quick and easy to use when recording your screen. The screen recorder, downloaded free for PC, comes with a package of professional screen-capture features that allow you to effortlessly capture screen, webcam, audio from built-in or USB microphones, and system sounds. With an easy way to select what you are recording, the software has plenty of utility in delivering presentations, webinars, and recording games.
Available Software: Windows, macOS
- Easy to use
- Up to 4K/60fps captures
- Auto-detects connected devices
- Packed with tools
- Limited editing tools
- 1-minute recording cap on the free version
ScreenPal – Best for Affordable Editing Features
ScreenPal is a feature-packed screen recorder that comes with a free plan. You get unlimited screen and webcam recordings of up to 15 minutes each. The free download screen recorder PC software features an easy-to-use recording interface and several video editing options. You can also record your narration separately, add transitions and overlays, and hide the cursor, webcam, or drawings.
Available Software: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome
- Very affordable upgrade
- Tons of editing options
- Recording system audio requires an upgrade
- No built-in sharing options
Recommendation and Conclusion
Based on the above comparison, the best free screen recorder for PC that stands out from the rest is Filmora. The simple but powerful screen recorders give you an edge by allowing you to edit your recordings as well. Utilizing the integrated functionalities and capabilities enables enhanced outcomes, furnishing an authentic portrayal of your endeavour.
Computer programs designed to record videos of on-screen activity are valuable for sharing visual information with an audience. These utilities have applications in digital presentations, webinars, and other analogous undertakings.
Filmora is an exceptional screen recorder that allows you to edit your videos for more engagement. Visit Filmora from the official website to download a free PC screen recorder and incorporate it into your next project for better results.